With the release of Windows 10, Microsoft introduced a boatload of new features and apps which are very beneficial for users. Still, sometimes all the features and apps are not necessarily used by users. The same is the case with Microsoft Edge, although Microsoft introduced it with Windows 10 and said it’s a big brother of Internet Explorer with lot improvements, but still it doesn’t live up to the reputation. More necessarily, it doesn’t catch up with its competitors such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. And that’s the reason users are looking for a way to either disable Microsoft Edge or completely uninstall it from their PC.
Now Microsoft being clever, they don’t seem to have included a way to disable or uninstall Microsoft edge completely. As Microsoft Edge is an integral part of Windows 10, it can’t be removed completely from the system, but for users looking to disable it, let’s see How to Uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 with the help of the below-listed guide.
How to Uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 10
Make sure to create a restore point just in case something goes wrong.
Method 1: Workaround the problem
Now you could set the default browser in Windows Settings to either Chrome or Firefox. This way, Microsoft Edge won’t open up automatically until and unless you don’t run it. Anyway, this is just a workaround the problem, and if you don’t like it, you could move to method 2.
1. Press Windows Key + I to open Settings then click on Apps.
2. From the left-hand menu, make sure to select Default apps.
3. Under Choose default apps to click on Microsoft Edge listed under Web browser.
4. Now select Google Chrome or Firefox to change your default web browser.
Note: For this, you need to make sure that you have already installed Chrome or Firefox.
5. Reboot your PC to save changes.
Method 2: Rename Microsoft Edge Folder
1. Press Windows key + R then type C:\Windows\SystemApps\ and hit Enter.
2. Now inside SystemApps folder, find the Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe folder then right-click on it and select Properties.
3. Make sure under Attributes Read-only option is checked (Not a square but a checkmark).
4. Click Apply, followed by OK.
5. Now try to rename the Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe folder and if it asks for permission select Yes.
6. This will successfully disable Microsoft Edge, but if you cannot rename the folder due to permission issue, the continue.
7. Open Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe folder and then click on View and make sure file name extension option is checked.
8. Now find the following two files inside above folder:
9. Rename the above files to:
10. This will successfully Disable Microsoft Edge in Windows 10, but if you cannot rename them because of permissions issue, then continue.
11. Open Command Prompt. The user can perform this step by searching for ‘cmd’ and then press Enter.
12. Type the following command into cmd and hit Enter after each one:
takeown /f C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
icacls C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe /grant administrators:f
13. Again try to rename the above two files, and this time you will be successful in doing so.
14. Reboot your PC to save changes, and this is How to Uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 10.
Method 3: Uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 (Not Recommended)
As already mentioned that Microsoft Edge is an integral part of Windows 10 and completely uninstalling or removing it might lead to system instability that is why only method 2 is recommended if you want to disable Microsoft Edge completely. But if you still want to continue, then continue at your own risk.
1.Type PowerShell in Windows search and then right-click on PowerShell and select Run as Administrator.
2. Now type the following command into Powershell and hit Enter:
3. Scroll down till you find Microsoft.Microsoft edge….. next to PackageFullName and then copy the full name under the above field. For example:
4. Once you have the package name, then type the following command:
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_40.15063.674.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe | Remove-AppxPackage
Note: If the above doesn’t work try this one: Get-AppxPackage *edge* | Remove-AppxPackage
5. This will uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 completely.
6. Reboot your PC to save changes.
- Fix Wallpaper changes automatically after computer restarts
- Fix error 0x80080207 when installing App from Windows Store
- How To Fix This app can’t open in Windows 10
- Fix Volume Control stuck on the top left corner of the screen
That’s it you have successfully learned How to Uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 but if you still have any questions regarding the above guide then feel free to ask them in the comment’s section.